I downloaded the new Colonization game on the iPhone. It was playable, but the controls were really bad and it was not very fun.
I downloaded the game again from GOG. I decided to try another game with a challenge.
Here are my old challenges. Never going back to Europe was my favorite.
Save the Natives
Anyway, I wanted to play a game where I tried to prevent all native villages from being destroyed.
I started one game as the Spanish near the Tupi tribe. My rationale was to be the Spanish to prevent their Indian village attack bonus from being used. That did not work so well and the Tupi were not very good to trade with (being nomadic).
I started this other game as the French and went to war with the Spanish (and other Europeans) early and often. Some things that have happened that were fun and/or helped:
- I got Hernando de Soto first! That was lucky. All my exploration is always positive. But I never dug any burial mounds.
- I got Hernan Cortez second. I was able to do a lot of exploration and have the king's galleons transport my treasure for free.
- I have created a TON of missionaries, but I have gotten very few converts so far.
- I also NEVER took any Indian land, only land that was unoccupied. (1 square away from all villages)
- I have armed every single tribe I am in contact with with many horses and guns. I always just give 2 horses at a time and it counts as an entire horse herd.
Some pictures from midway through:
And here is the final pic. Only one native village was destroyed by the Spanish. I finally beat down the Spanish so much that they retired from the New World.
"There shall be no money, but you shall have complete enlightenment, which is nice."Never have any money. Ever.
So that means there are certain things you just can't do like:
- Visit native villages - they sometimes give you gifts
- Explore - ruins give you money
- Trade - this one is obvious
- Take over European settlements - this comes with spoils!
This was a fun one. It was really hard in the beginning. My military was super weak at first. I basically had one soldier to guard 2 settlements until I got my first cannon. Even then I was super weak. I finally got horses from the Apache - they gifted them to me. I could have also gotten them from immigrant scouts, but I didn't get that until very late in the game.
Anyway, I decided to play as the English because of their immigration bonus. I created lots of churches and preachers to get more immigrants.
My war of independence was pretty rocky until I got Dutch intervention. After that it was smooth sailing.